Home-Start Merton, like each Home-Start Scheme, is independently run and managed by volunteer Trustees who come from a variety of backgrounds and skills in key areas such as finance, HR, fundraising, health and social care.
Our Trustees come from all walks of life, bringing their individual skills to the organisation. All our Trustees volunteer because they want to improve the lives of parents and children; what they get back is the satisfaction of knowing that they have helped their community and, in many cases, a chance to enhance their own skills and knowledge.
Our Trustees have overall responsibility for managing the Scheme and ensuring it acts at all times within its governing documents and the Home-Start Agreement. They in turn employ our staff team including the Scheme Manager who oversees the day to day running of the organisation.
They are responsible for:
- The effective management of the Scheme, including funding, insurance and premises
- Implementing good practice and procedures in employing and supervising staff
- Ensuring policies such as equality, fairness and diversity and health and safety are adhered to
- Providing vision, leadership and direction
- Monitoring and evaluating the Scheme’s work on a regular basis
Trustees can take on a major role on the board, for instance as a Chairperson, Treasurer or Secretary, or sit in as a member in a hands-on or even an advisory capacity.
As part of Home-Start’s commitment to training and support, all Trustees have the opportunity to attend training in such areas as team building, communication, roles and responsibilities, confidentiality issues, equal opportunities, health and safety and child protection