Do You Need Support &
How Home-Start Can Help
Who can Home-Start Merton help?
If you are a mum, dad or carer with a child under eleven, and are finding things tough at the moment, you can ask for free help.
Our volunteers help parents going through difficult times including:
- Loneliness and isolation
- Relationship difficulties
- Coping with twins, triplets or several pre-school children
- Ill health, disability or special needs
- Lone parenting
- First time parenthood or new babies
- Postnatal illness
- Children’s behavioural problems
- Domestic Abuse
- Mental Health
What do the volunteers do?
A Home-Start Merton volunteer will visit you regularly (usually once a week for a couple of hours) and offer:
- Friendly support through difficult times for as long as you need help
- Understanding that when bringing up children, problems are not unusual
- Reassurance that you are not alone
- A listening ear
- An extra pair of hands to help you cope with everyday situations
- Practical help with activities like playing or story time.
Who are the volunteers?
Home-Start Merton volunteers are people from different backgrounds and vary in age, but all have parenting experience. They:
- Will visit you in your own home and accept you as you are
- Are carefully selected for their friendliness, practical approach and understanding
- Have undergone a check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB), and have all attended a course of preparation before being matched with families
Many of our volunteers have been helped by Home-Start Merton themselves.
Will anyone else find out?
Home-Start Merton is confidential. Personal information about you and your family is not disclosed to anyone outside the organisation without your consent, except where there is a concern about the safety or welfare of a child.
What if I change my mind?
You choose whether or not to accept Home-Start Merton support, and can change your mind at any time. A volunteer will only visit on your invitation
Why not read about some of the experiences of families Home-Start Merton has supported in their own stories in our ‘What our families say’ section.